5 Great Exercises for the Expecting Mom
Just because you’re expecting doesn’t mean you have to stop working out the way I did when I was pregnant. In fact, a healthy workout regimen is actually good for the baby. It can reduce your pregnancy pains and give you more energy, too!
Now, you probably shouldn’t run a marathon or participate in an Iron Man competition, but there are quite a few workouts you can do to keep you, your body and your baby healthy in the long run. Here are a few:
- Walking – You want to avoid anything too high-impact while pregnant, so swap out your morning run for a brisk, morning walk instead. Just make sure you invest in some new shoes; remember, most women’s feet grow during pregnancy, so your old trainers are probably a bit too small nowadays!
- Yoga – Yoga is a relaxing way to maintain strength and flexibility while pregnant. It puts little impact on your joints and bones, and it offers a great opportunity to just breathe, relax and get in touch with your body.
- Swimming – Swimming offers a great, low-impact workout for expecting women. It offers cardio benefits, and it uses all your major muscle groups. As an added benefit, it makes you feel weightless, so no matter what trimester you’re in, swimming is a breeze.
- Weight training – It might sound surprising, but you can actually continue weight training while pregnant. You can even do body weight exercises! Do wall pushups, tricep dips and even planks, and use that added weight as resistance. Just don’t lift any huge barbells or weights – you don’t want to drop them on yourself or strain your body too much.
- Dancing – Dancing can be a great way to have fun and get a cardio workout in at the same time. Enroll in a low-impact barre3 or ballet class, try an at-home dance video, or just put on yourfavorite music and dance around your living room.
These workouts won’t just help you stay healthy during your pregnancy, they’ll also make losing that baby weight even easier once your little one is born. It’s a win-win for everyone involved, so give these workouts a try today!
~ Be Happy, Healthy and Fit in Mind, Body and Spirit ~ Visit DiviniFit.com for daily health, fitness & lifestyle tips ~
Get posts directly to your inbox!