5 Ways to Keep Your Mind Healthy
I talk a lot about keeping the body healthy – the real foods we need to eat, the best exercises to do, and the poisonous substances we should steer clear of. Having an in-shape body isn’t the only thing to focus on of course.The mind plays a huge part in our health and wellness.Our minds can start to decline as we age, so it’s important to do everything possible to combat this. Are you doing all you can to keep your mind sharp and healthy? Here are 5 ways you can do it:
- Give it a workout – It’s not just body that needs exercise; your brain needs a workout as well. Carve out some time each week to challenge yourself with puzzles, crosswords, Sudokus, or even try a brain-training app like Lumosity.
- Spend time with friends – Socializing is a great way to sharpen your mind. It requires use of virtually every area of the brain, and it also reduces cortisol, a stress-related hormone that in excess can hurt your health.
- Read a book – Reading keeps your brain active and engaged. Reading is one of the best forms brain exercise, and has been shown to keep the brain sharp and healthy. Reading has also been proven to slow the progression of Alzheimer’s and dementia.
- Try something new – Every once in a while go somewhere you’ve never gone before or do something you’ve never done. Walk to a different part of the park when out with your dog. Try out a different workout class at your gym. Talk to a new person at work. By putting yourself in new situations, you’re making your brain adapt, grow and expand, which improves your mental health significantly.
- Get plenty of rest – In order to properly retain information your brain needs rest. Think of it like the recovery period after a workout – your muscles need some downtime to absorb what they’ve learned and grow from it. Your brain works the same way, so make sure to get a good night’s sleep – at least 6 to 8 hours.
- Eat real food – You can also improve your mind by eating brain-boosting foods like fish, blueberries, nuts and tomatoes on a regular basis. (Bonus: these are great for your physical health, too.) Make sure to choose organic produce and wild caught seafood whenever possible.
~ Be Happy, Healthy and Fit in Mind, Body and Spirit ~ Visit DiviniFit.com for daily health, fitness & lifestyle tips ~
Get posts directly to your inbox!