The 7 Worst Foods for Your Health
I’ve already talked about how to treat your body right – the vitamins and nutrients it needs, how to stock your fridge properly, and the best foods and meals to fuel it. But what I haven’t done yet is talk about the major foods and eating choices that could actually damage your health and put you further back on your journey to a healthier you.
If you’re looking to shed some body fat, get fit, or just have more energy, then make sure to cut these 7 unhealthy food choices from your menu:
- Soda/sweet drinks – Soda, bottled teas and juices, and even sports drinks are simply loaded with sugar, adding an unnecessary amount of calories to your diet and stalling your weight loss even further. Even the so-called “diet” drinks are bad, too. They’re full of additives and preservatives, and they don’t help hydrate or nourish your body at all.
- Lunch meat – Sliced deli lunch meat is not the best choice if you’re looking to get healthy. Most cold cuts are overloaded with sodium, and they’re processed with chemical preservatives and dangerous nitrites that can damage your health. Freshly roasted and sliced turkey, chicken or roast beef are always the better option.
- Creamy salad dressings – You might think you’re being healthy by eating that salad for lunch, but if you slather it with loads of creamy dressing first, your efforts are wasted. Dressings like Ranch, Thousand Island or blue cheese add hundreds of calories to your meal, not to mention around 12 grams of fat and 380 mg of sodium. Always aim for a vinaigrette, fresh salsa, or even try what I use and mix organic, extra-virgin olive oil together with some vinegar & pepper and spritz on your greens for a truly healthy salad.
- Artificial sweeteners – Many people make the mistake of thinking artificial sweeteners like Sweet-n-Low are better than for their health than sugar. But the truth is, while they may not have the calories of regular table sugar they can lead to other problems like metabolic syndrome, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. When in doubt, use natural sweeteners like agave nectar and pure maple syrup.
- Mayonnaise – Mayonnaise is a popular condiment in the U.S. – we use it on burgers, hotdogs, sandwiches and just about anything we can get our hands on. Unfortunately, mayo is one of the worst toppings you can choose. Just a tiny serving of the stuff can add 360 calories to your meal and a whopping 40 grams of fat. Virtually every other condiment is a better choice than mayo; mustard, salsa and BBQ sauce are all significantly lower in calories and fat.
- Butter and margarine – Butters and margarines that come in a tub or in stick form are usually terrible for your health. They’re full of saturated fats which lead to weight gain and high cholesterol, and many even have the horrible partially hydrogenated oils (trans fats) in them!
- Dairy products – Dairy items, particularly those made from whole milk, are full of bad fats – the ones that keep your cholesterol high and your waistline wide. They also increase your risk of heart disease and stroke, and they promote inflammation throughout the body. If you can avoid dairy entirely it’s always the best option.
These aren’t the only foods that are bad for your health, obviously, but they’re definitely some major ones you want to avoid if your goal is to improve your health. Check back tomorrow for another post!
~ Be Happy, Healthy and Fit in Mind, Body and Spirit ~ Visit DiviniFit.com for daily health, fitness & lifestyle tips ~
Get posts directly to your inbox!