Avoid These Common Exercising Mistakes
Hitting the gym on a regular basis is a great way to slim down, get strong and improve your health overall. But just clocking in hours on a treadmill or elliptical machine isn’t enough – not if you want to see real, tangible results.
In order to see traction from your workouts, you have to be doing the right kind of exercises, and you have to be doing them correctly.
Unfortunately, this is harder than it seems. Many regular gym goers – even the most seasoned of them – commit some serious exercising faux pas that not only decrease the effects of their workouts, but they also simply waste time as well. And who wants to do that?
If you want to make sure your gym trips are effective and proficient as possible, make sure to avoid these all-too-common exercising mistakes:
- Relying only on cardio – Doing lots of cardio is going to help you get in shape, yes, but if you don’t complement that with healthy eating habits and a few strength training sessions a week, you’re not going to get the body you’re looking for. You need to be fueling your body with the right kinds of calories and building up muscle on a regular basis.
- Stop pushing yourself – As you hit the gym more, you’re going to get better and better at your workouts. You’re going to be able to run further, go faster and lift more. Respond to these changes in your body, and keep challenging yourself. If you keep going at the same pace or intensity as you were in the very beginning, you’re going to plateau and stop seeing results pretty quickly.
- Getting in a rut – Doing the same exercise routine every day is not only boring, but it can cause you to hit a plateau in no time flat. Then, you’ll stop seeing the results you want. If you want to keep burning those calories and building up muscle, be sure to change your routine up every few weeks or months. Keep your body surprised and working hard!
- Skipping the warm-up – To get the most results from your workout, a warm-up is key. It gets blood flow going, it wakes up your nervous system and it helps your body start to use oxygen more efficiently. Always do at least a 5 to 10 minute warm-up before diving into your main workout routine.
- Only doing yoga – Yoga is great for improving flexibility and strength, but it’s not a calorie-buster by any means. If you’re looking to slim down or just get in overall better shape, complement those yoga sessions with aerobic activity. Go for a run 2 to 3 times a week, take a brisk walk on the way to your yoga class, or hop on the stationary bike after your class has ended.
- Making the gym your only activity – Hitting the gym is great, but it shouldn’t be the only physical activity you get. If you really want to be as healthy as can be, you need to be active throughout the day, too. Even if your job is a sedentary one, make it a point to walk around your office, march in place or do a few push-ups for about 5 minutes every hour. You’ll burn a lot more calories than just sitting at your desk!
Want to get the most out of your daily workouts? Then be sure to avoid these exercising mistakes. You’ll burn more calories, you’ll get stronger, and you’ll see more results in less time.
~ Be Happy, Healthy and Fit in Mind, Body and Spirit ~ Visit DiviniFit.com for daily health, fitness & lifestyle tips ~
Get posts directly to your inbox!