Join the Real Food Lifestyle: Step 2 – Cleaning Out Your Fridge
When you’re starting a new, healthy way of eating, nothing is more difficult than breaking those old habits and resisting your old fallback foods.
Having a ‘fridge and freezer stocked with ice-cream, microwaveable pizzas and prepackaged foods doesn’t set you up for success.
You need a fresh start and a clean slate – or refrigerator in this case – one where your only option is to eat healthy.
THE FIRST STEP TO GETTING HEALTHY: THE PURGE
Remember, The Real Food Lifestyle is NOT a diet. Eating Real Food is a lifestyle, a way of eating that is wholesome, educated, and traditional. RFL mimics the daily diet of the caveman, one that was simple, natural, and nutritious. RFL focuses on giving your body what it needs to function at optimal levels; not just cutting out foods randomly.
I think it’s important to try new things, to constantly learn and grow in knowledge and experience.
How will you know you like something until you try it?
I don’t expect you to commit to the Real Food Lifestyle until you try it out for 30 days first. “Try before you buy” the way I did.
Here’s how it works:
- Say goodbye to anything boxed, packaged or processed. To set yourself up for the utmost success, say goodbye to anything boxed, packaged or processed. You want to eat fresh, healthy, whole, real food, so get rid of any items that don’t fit the bill. This includes those frozen microwaveable “diet” meals, [Ahem, Deb, this means you.] cereal, sauces, and anything with refined sugar.
- No more cheese, please. Next, give away any cheese and milk – because cow’s milk is meant for baby cows, silly. Drinking modern pasteurized milk, devoid of its enzyme content, will likely result in allergies (that will seem unrelated to dairy), fatigue, blemished skin, and a host of degenerative diseases. Maybe you’re one of the rare humans that tolerate animal milk and the milk doesn’t cause inflammation in your body like it does with most people. To test this out, just for funzies, don’t consume any dairy for the next 30 day and see how you feel. It’s very possible you’ll feel better!
- Diet drinks down the sink. Cleaning out your fridge doesn’t just mean getting rid of food – it also means those bad-for-you drinks too. This includes soda (yep, even diet ones), beer, and sports and energy drinks (like Gatorade, Red Bull, Monster).
- Grains and starches are for the birds. Our ancestors (the cavemen) didn’t eat grains or starches, so why would you? Give away any pasta, white potatoes, bread, or anything with wheat in it. These are all starches you should avoid for the next thirty days.
- Stock up your pantry and fridge. Get lots of fresh, organic produce, grass-fed meats, and wild caught seafood. As a general rule of thumb, stay away from the center aisles of the grocery store. Stay in the perimeter of the store where the Real Food is kept.
- Do your research and try Real Food recipes. Take some time to read about what the cavemen actually ate, and how you can work those items into your daily life with ease. I highly recommend the book The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf. For new recipes to try check out: RealFoodLIfestyle.TV, primal-palate.com and nomnompaleo.com.
- Avoid allergens. This is an obvious one but I’m going to say it anyway: if you have an allergy or intolerance to a food, DON’T eat it. Are you allergic to eggs? Shellfish? Nuts? Avocado? DO NOT eat anything that makes you sick, duh.
- Plan out your meals. It’s much easier to stick to the Real Food Lifestyle if you fi rst plan out what you’re going to eat for the week. Sit down and write out all your meals – breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks included. This will keep you on track and leave no room for error as you start your Real Food Lifestyle trial.
Once you’ve taken these steps you should be left with only healthful, nutritious, whole foods that can fuel and heal your body, improve your overall well-being, and help you lose excess body fat.
~ Be Happy, Healthy and Fit in Mind, Body and Spirit ~ Visit DiviniFit.com for daily health, fitness & lifestyle tips ~
Get posts directly to your inbox!