Join the Real Food Lifestyle: Step 4 – Learn Healthy Food Substitutions
Sometimes I can’t ignore the temptation for a certain kind of food, but I know I shouldn’t eat it because it makes me feel terrible for days afterwards. So instead I choose some healthy food substitutes and make the food myself.
- Flour – Instead of using traditional wheat flour that’s full of gluten, I use coconut flour, almond flour, and brown rice flour. I think the muffins turn out even better than they do with wheat flour.
- Sugar – You won’t find refined sugar or artificial sugar anywhere in my house because it makes me sick. For baking, cooking, smoothies – whatever I make that I want to sweeten – I use prunes, unsweetened apple sauce, raw organic honey, or organic maple syrup.
- Oil – Great substitutions for traditional vegetable oil include unsweetened applesauce, coconut oil, mashed bananas, or even avocado or prune puree. I cook and bake almost everything with Nutiva Organic Unrefined Virgin Coconut Oil.
- Pasta – I no longer eat regular store bought pasta and restaurant pasta. I make my own veggie pasta at home using ribbons of zucchini and yellow squash as the noodles. I also have some penne, spiral, and spaghetti pasta in my pantry that’s made from organic brown rice. My favorite brand is Tinkyada, and I order it off amazon.com. It cooks like any regular pasta, but I think it tastes even better.
- Flour tortillas – I swap out the gluten-filled flour tortillas for ones made out of coconut flour or 0rown rice flour, but when I want to stay low-calorie and super healthy I will use lettuce leaves to wrap the food.
- Cream – When a recipe calls for cream or sour cream I substitute for coconut milk, almond milk, or Greek yogurt, and I make sure to buy the unsweetened versions so that I don’t add unnecessary calories to the dish.
- Syrup – To get antioxidants, vitamins, and avoid unhealthy sugars, I often use a healthy berry puree in place of syrup on my gluten free pancakes. I simply warm the berries on the stove until they loosen and use them as my topping.
~ Be Happy, Healthy and Fit in Mind, Body and Spirit ~ Visit DiviniFit.com for daily health, fitness & lifestyle tips ~
Get posts directly to your inbox!