The Benefits of Going Gluten Free
Though it started out simply as a treatment for Celiacs (individuals who are allergic to gluten), it has since turned into a full-blow fad diet for those hoping to lose weight and drop the pounds.
But is it really all it’s cracked up to be?
The truth is, a gluten free diet isn’t for everyone as it can be incredibly challenging.
Ordering at restaurants is difficult, cooking requires more creativity and groceries are more expensive than ever. Fortunately, the pros far outweigh the cons when it comes to this popular way of eating. So if you’re considering taking the plunge, don’t be afraid.
Here are just a few of the major advantages you can enjoy by going gluten free:
1. It can reduce your risk of heart disease, certain cancers and thyroid disease. Going gluten free is proven to have a great many health benefits. In fact, a recent study by the University of Chicago found that a gluten-free diet will decrease antibodies and help with thyroiditis.
2. It can improve your immune system and help your body fight viruses, bacteria and germs. By removing gluten from your diet and resorting to more natural, healthful ingredients, you’re giving your body more nutrients and minerals to operate with. In the end, this boosts your immune system and helps you fight off infections and other health problems more effectively.
3. It can alleviate digestion problems and inflammation. Gluten is proven to cause inflammation and aggravate the digestive system, leading to cramps, bloating and stomach aches in many people. Removing gluten can alleviate all these unfortunate symptoms and more.
4. It can increase nutrient absorption. For those who have a problem with gluten, it can wreak havoc on the stomach and intestines, making it difficult to absorb the nutrients and vitamins your body needs. When you cut gluten out, it allows your body to heal itself. Over time, it will begin to absorb more of the nutrients and minerals it requires, ultimately improving your overall health and wellness.
5. It can help you lose weight. Getting rid of gluten itself won’t help you weight, but it forces you to change your diet by eating less processed foods and including more natural, nutrient-rich whole foods – and that definitely will. By cutting out gluten, you’re forced to avoid most processed foods, breads and other carbohydrates that can pack on the pounds, and you begin turning to more healthful, natural foods as a result.
6. It can boost your energy. Because gluten makes it hard to get the nutrients and minerals your body needs, this can lead to malnutrition and even anemia. These conditions ultimately affect your energy levels, causing you to feel weak, lethargic and downtrodden. Cutting gluten out of your diet can help you get back that energy and zest for life!
Ultimately, every individual is different when it comes to gluten. Some people can eat it just fine, with no unfortunate side effects or damage, while millions of others aren’t so lucky.
Regardless of which category you fall into, going gluten free can – without a doubt – improve your overall health and well-being, so why not give it a try?
Thinking of going gluten-free? Stay tuned for more posts on healthy eating, gluten-free dieting and even some recipes!
~ Be Happy, Healthy and Fit in Mind, Body and Spirit ~ Visit DiviniFit.com for daily health, fitness & lifestyle tips ~
Get posts directly to your inbox!