Real Food Recipe: Healthy Fried Rice
Who doesn’t love fried rice? It’s a gold standard at most Asian restaurants, and it’s usually pretty darn delicious no matter where you get it. Unfortunately, for is you’re a real food eater like me, fried rice is no longer on the menu. It uses bad-for-you oils, refined, white rice and plenty of other stuff we just shouldn’t eat.
Lucky for you, I’ve got a great RFL-friendly alternative! This healthy fried rice uses cauliflower instead of real rice, and it’s packed full of healthy veggies and produce.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- ½ cup peas
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 8 oz. of cooked shrimp or chicken
- Start by making the cauliflower rice. Take the head of cauliflower, pull off the leaves and break it into large florets. Rinse each floret thoroughly.
- Next, throw the florets into a food processor, and pulse them until they have a fine, rice-like texture. Be sure not to turn the processor on blend; you don’t want a powder!
- Heat 1 tbsp. of coconut oil in a saute pan, and put your ground cauliflower in. Cook the mixture over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, and season it with salt and pepper. Set rice aside for now.
- Now, grab your wok (or a large saucepan if you don’t have one), and heat up the remaining 1 tbsp. of oil. Add in the onion and garlic, and cook for about 3 minutes. You want the onion to retain some of its crunchiness and bite.
- Add in the peas, carrots and bell peppers, and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Pour in your eggs, breaking them into small, bite-size pieces as they cook.
- Once the eggs are done, add in your rice and protein and mix everything to together. After your shrimp or chicken has fully warmed up (about 5 minutes), remove from the pan and serve hot.
And there you have it: a healthy fried rice that’s sure to satisfy. If you try it, let me know how it turned out in the comments! And as always, stay tuned for another real food recipe next week. I’ve got something great up my sleeve!
~ Be Happy, Healthy and Fit in Mind, Body and Spirit ~ Visit DiviniFit.com for daily health, fitness & lifestyle tips ~
Get posts directly to your inbox!