The Hidden Health Benefits of Running
- Increased brain capacity – Running can stimulate the growth of nerve cells and blood vessels, which play a huge role in overall brain function. These cells and vessels naturally decrease as we age, so by running, we can help circumvent our brain’s natural decline. In fact, a study showed that there was two percent difference in learning and memory in adults who ran versus those who were inactive
- Improved mood and reduced depression – Studies show that running as just as effective, maybe even better, than the pharmaceutical drugs that treat depression. Running improves the mood, promotes a positive outlook, and keeps serotonin and norepinephrine in the synapses longer — and this can help fight off depression and anxiety.
- Longer life span – Running for just 30 minutes three days a week can increase your life up to SIX years, according to research. Why? Because it makes you healthier on the whole: you’re less likely to get ill, have heart or lung problems, or be overwhelmed by stress. It also prevents obesity, a risk factor in many fatal disease and conditions.
- Lowered stress levels – When you run, chemicals like dopamine and serotonin are released in the brain, creating what’s called a “runner’s high.” This helps keep you in the moment, pushing aside all those stresses and worries and pushes you to a more serene, calm and happy place.
- Decreased risk of heart disease – If you run outdoors you can get even more benefits. As outdoor runners get significantly more vitamin D than other people, they’re also 50 percent less likely to die from heart disease because of it.
- Continued caloric burning – Running produces what’s called an “after burn,” added calories that are consumed even after your run has ended. In fact, the average person will burn anywhere from 250 to 350 calories for every 30 minutes run. For every 100 of those, they can expect to burn at least another 15 in the next few hours after the workout is over.
If you’re looking for a great cardio workout that can improve your health on many levels, running/jogging is a a good one to try!
~ Be Happy, Healthy and Fit in Mind, Body and Spirit ~ Visit DiviniFit.com for daily health, fitness & lifestyle tips ~
Get posts directly to your inbox!