Great Indoor Workouts to Try
Going for a jog around the neighborhood, biking, hiking – all great ways to get your heart rate up and burn calories while getting some Vitamin D from the sun. But if you live in a places with crazy weather patterns like I do (Oklahoma and Alaska), there are many times when exercising outdoors just isn’t possible.
These are some of the exercises I do when stuck indoors. Give one of these a try the next time you’re snowed in (or it’s just too darn hot!).
- Jump rope – Jumping rope is an amazing way burn calories and get your heart rate up. It tones the entire body, improves endurance, and it can shave off 350 calories in just half an hour. And the best part? You don’t need much space to do it and a nice jump rope is affordable. Check out one that I like.
- Yoga – Yoga is a great way to strengthen your muscles and start toning your body. Focus on doing poses that use that most muscle groups at once, and work on incorporating a number of moves into one, fluid combination so you can burn fat while you’re at it.
- Dance – One of the world’s most popular indoor workouts nowadays is Zumba, a cardio class based in Latin dance. Dancing offers an incredibly fun and effective cardio workout. While you may not be able to take a Zumba class at home, you can easily throw on some music and break out the dance moves in the living room.
- Body weight exercises – If you’re not only looking to burn fat but would also like to tone muscle, then body weight exercises are a great way to do that. Push-ups, planks, squats, lunges and mountain climbers are excellent for building up leg, arm and core muscles. Check out some of my favorites.
- Invest in a cycle – Indoor cycling is a fun and highly effective workout. It tones up those leg muscles, it helps with endurance, and it’s a great way to burn calories and fat. It’s also extremely easy to do! Just sit it down in front of your favorite TV show and movie, and you’ll almost forget you’re even doing it!
~ Be Happy, Healthy and Fit in Mind, Body and Spirit ~ Visit DiviniFit.com for daily health, fitness & lifestyle tips ~
Get posts directly to your inbox!