How to Make Workouts Fun
Working out is, well, hard work. It takes time, dedication, and a lot of will power. But workouts don’t have to be all doom and gloom. Sure, they can be boring at times, even monotonous, but there really are ways to make them fun, engaging, and interesting on a daily basis.
Tired of your workouts? Try some of these tips to help keep them fun and exciting:
- Change it up – Don’t get stuck in the same old workout rut every day. If you usually run on a treadmill, take it outside and try running around the park once a week. You can also change up your route or even run in the pool! If you’re a cyclist, try a group ride or take a new route that challenges you. This will keep you motivated and excited about your training!
- Try new activities – Every once in a while, don’t be afraid to try something new. Go for a swim instead of a daily run, try hiking instead of biking, or grab a new Zumba DVD next time you’re at the store. Remember, variety is the spice of life!
- Bring a friend – Bringing a workout buddy is one of the best choices you can make. It keeps you motivated, it holds you accountable, and it gives you someone to talk to and socialize with while you exercise. It’s a real win-win!
- Take advantage of the season – Do activities that are in season. In the winter, try ice skating, skiing, snowboarding or sledding. In the summer, hit the pool or head to the beach. In the spring, play catch or beach volleyball with your friends.
- Make a great soundtrack – Music is a great way to keep yourself excited and motivated in your workouts. Take a few minutes to create a really killer soundtrack for yourself – one that pumps you up and gets you going. Make this your go-to playlist next time you hit the gym.
- Join a team – No matter what your age is, there are still plenty of fun, recreational sports teams you can join. Kickball, softball, soccer, they’re all great ways to get a workout in, socialize, and be competitive at the same time.
- Get outside – Don’t confine yourself to the local gym. Get outside and get active. Head to the park and play Frisbee with your loved one, hit the closest tennis court and play a few rounds, or go golfing once the weather is nice. You can even take your dog on a run!
- Reward yourself – You should also set goals and rewards for yourself. Maybe once you run that 5K, you go shopping. Or when you can deadlift 100 pounds, you get a golf day with the guys? This motivates you and makes your workout more worthwhile. Just make sure to choose rewards that are healthy (not something like a burger or fast food meal you’ve been craving!)
Have any other tips for keeping exercise fun? Share them in the comments! I’ll see you back here tomorrow, when we’ll discuss Crossfit, and whether it’s right for you and your needs!
~ Be Happy, Healthy and Fit in Mind, Body and Spirit ~ Visit DiviniFit.com for daily health, fitness & lifestyle tips ~
Get posts directly to your inbox!