How to Order Clean at a Restaurant
- Tell your waiter first. Your first step is to tell your waiter about any food allergies or items you need eliminated from your plate. If they seem fairly new or uninformed about food allergies, then you might want to ask for a manager instead. They’ll see to it that the chef knows about your restrictions.
- Ask for any special menus. Many restaurants now offer gluten-free and vegan menus, and if you’re Paleo, many of these items should fit the bill.
- Beware of cooking style. Even once you find something that seems to fit your plan, always be sure to ask about how the food is actually cooked. Is the fish cooked in heavy oil or butter? If so, that’s not going to work if you’re vegan, dairy-free or Paleo. Is the food prepped on a surface where flour-based ingredients are prepped, too? Then that’s not good for a Paleo or gluten-free eater. Be wary of these little nuances, and be prepared to ask for substitutions in cooking oils, as well as in preparation surfaces.
- Don’t be afraid to customize. Take a look at the whole menu and see what items work for you. Then, find the meal closest to your plan, and start to customize it. Sub out side items for ones you know are safe. As your server to please hold the sauces, and you can even ask to swap proteins, and work in fish or shrimp if you need your Omega-3s.
- Inspect it first. Mistakes happen, so before you go diving into that perfect meal you devised, be sure to look it over first. Did they accidentally add cheese? Did they forget to hold the sauce? Did they give you the right sides? There’s nothing wrong with sending your plate back if something looks off. You’re paying for it, so make sure it’s what you ordered, but always be kind and courteous in your requests.
Eating out is definitely challenging, but it’s nothing you can’t conquer! Just follow these tips, and stay strong. You’ll be healthier and happier for it!
~ Be Happy, Healthy and Fit in Mind, Body and Spirit ~ Visit DiviniFit.com for daily health, fitness & lifestyle tips ~
Get posts directly to your inbox!