Real Food Recipe: Barbacoa Tacos
Who doesn’t love a good taco? Unfortunately, most store-bought and restaurant tacos are pretty unhealthy. They’re served on fried, flour tortillas, they’re covered in cheese and sour cream, and they just don’t offer any nutrients.
Today, we’re changing all that.
With this easy RFL recipe, you can create delicious, healthy tacos at home in just few hours. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 large beef brisket
- 3 limes
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 can chipotles in adobo
- 1 tsp. ground clove
- 1⁄2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp red onion
- 1⁄4 tsp. cayenne
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1⁄2 tbsp. sea salt
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups beef broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 large, peeled jicama
- Put the garlic cloves, 4 chipotles (plus all the sauce), the seasonings, cilantro, tomato paste, and vinegar into a food processor. Blend well.
- Place your brisket into a crock pot, and cover with the mixture. Pour the broth on top, add in the bay leaves, and put on the lid. Let cook on low for about 8 hours.
- Once done, shred your brisket using two forks or a pair of tongs, and discard any fat.
- Slice your jicama into thin, circular slices. Top each one with a scoop of brisket, and add any extras you would like. Guacamole, homemade salsa, pico, or a squeeze of fresh lime juice is always a great choice.
- Then, eat up!
The jicama “tortillas” add a great, fresh crunch to the meal. Remember though, they won’t bend like a traditional one would, so eat it more like a small tostada. Just be careful not to overload it with toppings! Enjoy!
~ Be Happy, Healthy and Fit in Mind, Body and Spirit ~ Visit DiviniFit.com for daily health, fitness & lifestyle tips ~
Get posts directly to your inbox!