Real Food Recipe: Eggplant Cannelloni
Do you ever find yourself missing a pasta now that you’ve gone RFL?
Thankfully, I’ve found this killer recipe for a faux-pasta, made with only veggies and RFL-friendly ingredients. To make it even better, it’s super easy to make, too!
Here’s what you need for this Paleo recipe:
- 2 large eggplants
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, soaked until soft (6-12 hours)
- 1 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 cup parsley
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 4 minced garlic gloves
- 4 large roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup coconut cream
- Slice the eggplant into 1/8-inch slices, vertically. Make sure not to cut them too thin, or they won’t roll properly. Brush both sides with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and grill for about 6 minutes on each side. Set aside to cool.
- Heat up 1 tbsp. olive oil in a saucepan, and saute your garlic for about 3 minutes. Add in the chopped tomatoes, and turn heat to low. Let simmer (with the lid on) for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, pour the mixture into a blender, add in the coconut cream and mix until smooth and creamy. This is the sauce that will go on top of your pasta.
- Rinse out your sauce pan, and put the remaining tbsp. of olive oil in. Turn it to medium head, and cook your onions until they become translucent.
- Add in the spinach, and cook until it begins to wilt and shrink in size. Remove the pan from the heat, and set aside.
- Boil 1 cup of water, and pour over the softened almonds. Let set for 1-2 minutes, drain and then rinse the almonds off. Now, you should be able to remove the almond skin easily using your fingers.
- Once your almonds have been skinned, put them in a food processer along with 1⁄4 cup water, lemon juice, 1⁄2 tsp salt and blend up until roughly combined. This will be your cannelloni filling!
- Now, assemble your cannelloni. Lay each eggplant slice flat, and top with a spoonful of the almond mixture. Roll the eggplant up, and cover with your tomato sauce.
Once you’ve assembled it all, you may want to pop the entire dish in the oven for about 5 minutes, just to warm everything up. Then, serve it up! Hope you enjoy!
~ Be Happy, Healthy and Fit in Mind, Body and Spirit ~ Visit DiviniFit.com for daily health, fitness & lifestyle tips ~
Get posts directly to your inbox!