Real Food Recipe: Pesto Bake
Pesto can do no wrong. You can put it on meat, you can eat it with vegetables, or you can simply use it to flavor the rest of your meal. Regardless of how you use it though, one thing’s for certain: it’s going to be delicious.
In honor of this delectable sauce, today’s recipe is going to pesto-centric. Full of juicy chicken, plenty of veggies and, of course, that perfect pesto, this meal is a must-have on next week’s menu. Give it a whirl and let me know what you think!
Here’s what you’ll need for the pesto:
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/8 cup pine nuts
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- A pinch of sea salt and pepper
And for the rest of the meal:
- 1 pound of organic, free range chicken breast
- A handful of mushrooms, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 large squash (spaghetti, butternut, acorn or zucchini all work great)
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 3 free range eggs, scramble
- 1 tbsp. fresh basil
- A pinch of sea salt
- The first step is to cut your squash in half, put it on a baking sheet and pop in the oven at 400 for about an hour (or until soft). While that’s going, take your chicken breasts, and cut them into half-inch pieces.
- Next, make your pesto sauce. Grind up the basil, garlic and pine nuts in a food processor, and then add in the olive oil, salt, pepper and give a quick mix. Remove, and put in the fridge for later use.
- Now, heat up your coconut oil in a skillet, and begin browning the chicken. Once those have mostly cooked through, add in your chopped onions and mushrooms, stir, and cook until the onions have begun to become translucent.
- Turn off the burner, and stir in the pesto sauce and milk. Then, take your softened squash, spoon out the inside, and add it to your skillet. Stir in the eggs, sprinkle with your salt and mix together thoroughly. Sprinkle your remaining basil on top.
- Place the entire skillet (a cast iron one works best) into the oven. Bake for an hour, and when finished, it should feel firm in the middle and a knife should come out clean.
- Now just remove from the oven, slice like a pie and serve up with a salad or some fresh veggies!
If you prep your squash ahead of time, this meal is relatively easy to create. Just mix it all together, pop in the oven, and you’ve got a gourmet meal in just 60 minutes.
~ Be Happy, Healthy and Fit in Mind, Body and Spirit ~ Visit DiviniFit.com for daily health, fitness & lifestyle tips ~
Get posts directly to your inbox!