Paleo Recipe of the Week: Sausage Breakfast “Biscuits”
If you’re like me, some of the biggest things you miss on the Paleo diet are those bready breakfast foods – pancakes, waffles, muffin, biscuits and more. Fortunately, thanks to a few crafty substitutions and a little creativity, there are ways to make these delicious items, satisfy your craving and stay true to your healthy lifestyle all at the same time.
I’ve already shown you how to do so with pancakes (just check out my recipe here), so today, I’d like to tackle another favorite that my eldest daughter loves: biscuits.
Here’s what you’ll need for this delicious Paleo recipe:
- 2 tbsp. ghee
- 1⁄4 pound ground pork breakfast sausage
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 large-sized biscuit cutters (greased with ghee)
- First, melt the ghee in a skillet over medium heat. While that’s melting, take one of your biscuit cutters, and press the sausage into the mold until a circular, patty shape is formed.
- Next, add the patty to your hot pan. If you want to be extra-sure the sausage keeps its shape while cooking, you can leave the biscuit cutter on while cooking the first side. (Just be careful taking it off – it will be hot!)
- Once one side has cooked, flip the patty over and cook the other. Each side should take about 2-3 minutes to fully cook. After the patty has been cooked, place on a paper towel-lined plane to cool.
- Now, crack each egg into a separate, small bowl. Pierce each yolk with a fork and give the mix a few whisks – don’t scramble it entirely.
- Take your remaining two biscuit cutters, and place in the still-hot skillet. Fill each one with one bowlful of egg. Add the pepper and salt to each.
- Pour your 1⁄4 cup of water into the skillet, so that it surrounds your biscuit cutters. Turn down the heat to low, and cover your skillet with a lid. Let eggs cook about 3-4 minutes more.
- Slide a spatula under one of the eggs, place on a plate and remove the biscuit cutter. Then, placed the cooled sausage patty on top. Next, use your spatula to remove the second egg, and place on top of the sausage. It should form a faux-biscuit sandwich!
There you have it – a hot, fresh and delicious breakfast that will satisfy your cravings and keep you on track to a healthier you. If you’re feeling extra creative, you can even add some guacamole or fresh salsa on top of the patty to give it a little kick.
Hope you like this recipe! Come back tomorrow for more great health and nutrition tips from me to you!
~ Be Happy, Healthy and Fit in Mind, Body and Spirit ~ Visit DiviniFit.com for daily health, fitness & lifestyle tips ~
Get posts directly to your inbox!