Real Food Recipe: Healthy Chicken Chili
There’s nothing like a great bowl of chili. It’s warm, filling and gives you that nostalgic feeling of home.
Though most chilis are made with ground beef or turkey, I like this unique chicken one. It offers a little spice and kick, and it’s a great new take on the traditional, run-of-the-mill kind you’d find in the store. Best of all, it’s super easy to make.
Here’s what you will need for this delicious RFL recipe:
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 peeled, chopped sweet potato
- 2 cups organic chicken broth
- 2 cooked and shredded chicken breasts
- 1 cup chopped green chiles
- 1 cup pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 large plum tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. agave nectar
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- Place your tomatoes on a cookie sheet, and put them under the broiler. Turn them every few minutes, until they’re charred all around. Remove them from the oven, chop them up, and set aside in a small bowl.
- Next, heat the coconut oil and a large pot, and toss in your onion. Cook until they’re soft and slightly transparent. Add in the minced garlic, cumin and cayenne, and stir.
- Add in the sweet potato, chopped tomatoes, beans, green chiles, balsamic vinegar, agave nectar and chicken broth. Stir to combine, and bring to a low simmer. Cover the mixture, and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Once your sweet potatoes are tender, add in your shredded chicken and the lime juice. Stir together. If the mixture looks too thick, add a bit more broth until you get it to the consistency you like.
You can either serve it up right away, or you can divide it into Tupperware containers, store it and eat it for meals during the week. It makes your weeknights super easy!
Want more healthy recipes? Check out some past ones I’ve posted here.
~ Be Happy, Healthy and Fit in Mind, Body and Spirit ~ Visit DiviniFit.com for daily health, fitness & lifestyle tips ~
Get posts directly to your inbox!