A Starter Guide for the Paleo Lifestyle
I’ve been talking about the Paleo lifestyle for ages. It’s been a big part of my personal health journey, and it offers a great way to fuel your body, give it the nutrients it needs, and have great tasting food all at the same time.
So today, I’d like to help you get started with your own Paleo lifestyle. I’ve put together this handy Paleo starter guide that walks you through each and every step of the way. Pretty soon, you’ll be a Paleo pro – and you’ll have the body to prove it!
- Remember, it’s NOT a diet – Paleo is a lifestyle – a way of eating. It mimics the daily diet of the caveman, one that was more simple, natural, and nutritious. It focuses on giving your body what it needs to function at optimal levels; not just cutting out foods randomly. Remember to always treat your new Paleo lifestyle as such. Thinking of it like a “diet,” will make it harder to follow and stick to in the long run.
- Do your research – Take some time to really read up on Paleo. Learn about what the cavemen actually ate, and how you can work those items into your daily life with ease. You may also want to print out a Paleo cheat sheet (like this one), that tells you what you should/shouldn’t eat, and you should bookmark some Paleo blogs or invest in a recipe book. Here’s one of my favorite recipe books.
- Clean out your kitchen – To set yourself up for the utmost success, take some time to completely clean out your kitchen of all non-Paleo foods. Get rid of your cereal (check out this website to understand why), vegetable oil, dairy, packaged/processed foods and frozen meals. This will keep you from being tempted while starting your new lifestyle.
- Stock up your pantry and fridge – Now that your fridge and pantry are cleaned out, they probably look pretty barren, huh? Take this time to hit the grocery store, and stock up on Paleo-friendly items. Get lots of fresh, organic produce, grass-fed meats, and plenty of seafood. As a general rule of thumb, try to stay in the perimeter of the store.
- Plan out your menus – It’s much easier to stick to a new eating style if you plan out your food first. Sit down and write out all your meals for the weeks – breakfast, lunch and dinner included. You may also want to include a few snacks throughout the day as well. This will keep you on track and leave no room for error as you start your new lifestyle.
As you start out, you can expect to have a few setbacks; it’s natural! Starting a completely new lifestyle and getting rid of all your bad habits at once can be difficult, but just know you have my support the entire way! Don’t hesitate to post a comment if you have any questions or need help along the way.
I hope your Paleo journey can be as successful as mine has been! Good luck, and get to cooking!
~ Be Happy, Healthy and Fit in Mind, Body and Spirit ~ Visit DiviniFit.com for daily health, fitness & lifestyle tips ~
Get posts directly to your inbox!