The Vitamins & Minerals You Should Be Getting – EVERY DAY
When we were younger, we were all told to take our vitamins. But how much do you follow this adage as an adult? Do you still take a multivitamin every morning? Do you watch carefully what minerals and nutrients you feed your body? Better yet, do you even know what minerals and nutrients your body needs?
In reality, most people don’t – on all accounts. They buy vitamins but forget to take them (yep, I do this), they don’t fuel their bodies with the nutrient-dense foods it requires, and they all in all just don’t get what they need to operate at full capacity.
Does this sound like you? If so, I’m here to help. I’ve broken down all the necessary vitamins and minerals your body needs on a daily basis. Follow this regimen, and you’ll be well on your way to improved health!
- Calcium – Calcium helps ensure strong bones and healthy metabolic function, and it should be a necessary part of your daily diet – whether in food form or in supplement/vitamin form. You want about 1,000 mg per day of it. You can get this from milk or dairy (though if you’re Paleo, stay away from dairy), or you can go for salmon, kale and almonds.
- Iron – Iron helps bring oxygen to your blood cells, and it plays a big role in the production of amino acids, hormones, neurotransmitters and collagen. So needless to say, it’s pretty important. The daily amount of iron you need depends on your gender. For men, you’ll want around 8 mg per day, and for women, you want 18. If you’re older than 50, then drop down to 8 mg.
- Magnesium – Magnesium and calcium work together to aid muscle contraction, cell signaling, metabolism, blood pressure and other importantly bodily functions. You’ll want to get between 300 and 400 mg per day ideally. Most multivitamins won’t offer this much, so you’ll need to get it from dark leafy greens, nuts, seeds and fish.
- Vitamin A – Vitamin A is conducive to good vision, and it encourages both red and white blood cell production. It’s also vital to the immune system, and it helps regulate cell growth. For women, you need about 2,300 IU per day for optimal health. For men, it’s more like 3,000. Sweet potatoes and carrots are both high in Vitamin A if your multivitamins don’t offer enough.
- Vitamin C – One of the most important vitamins for your body, Vitamin C has been proven to lower the risk of many cancers, and it boosts your immune system immensely. The recommended daily dosage is between 75 to 90 mg per day, and this is typically covered by a general multivitamin. If yours doesn’t offer a high enough dose, grab an orange or grapefruit for breakfast.
- Vitamin D – Vitamin D supports the immune, nervous and skeletal system, and because of this, it’s crucial to get the proper amounts on a daily basis. You want about 22 IU per day. A lot of this can acquired easily through a daily multivitamin and regular sunlight.
- Zinc – Zinc is a building block for cells, proteins and enzymes, and it supports the liver. If you’re male, you’ll want 11 mg per day of zinc; for a female, it’s just 8 mg. Great sources of zinc include spinach, beef, lamb, seafood and cashews.
Need more guidance on leading a happier, healthier lifestyle? Check DiviniRae.com tomorrow for more! And if you’re looking for a great way to get your vitamins and supplements organized, here’s a product I love.
~ Be Happy, Healthy and Fit in Mind, Body and Spirit ~ Visit DiviniFit.com for daily health, fitness & lifestyle tips ~
Get posts directly to your inbox!